I am a wine enthusiast who believes that wine can be enjoyed at any budget. Every year, Wine Spectator publishes a list of their 500 top wines under $20. As much as I would love to try all 500, there are a few reasons I have decided not to… my wallet, waistline and liver will thank me later!
Here are my guidelines:
1. Wines will be between $10-15.
2. I will only be trying red wines for now, and may start to mix in white wine closer to the summer.
3. I will not taste wines from the most well known producers. The reason being that I likely tried them already.
4. I will not taste the wines with food. If I am curious about how a wine would pair with an aged Vermont cheddar, I may take out some cheese and try the combination but will also be sure to include notes for the wine by itself.
5. I trust my friends’ opinions. If you have a favorite value wine, or if there is a wine you would like for me to try, email me and I’d be happy to add it to my list!
An important note: Everyone’s palate is different! Some people love oak, some hate it. Some people love a big Cabernet, and others enjoy a light Pinot Noir. Or if you’re like me, you love them all! A wine that stands out to me is a wine that is unique, has flavors that stand out and is delicious on its own.
Stay tuned, and thanks for reading!